Demographics

The parish draws its members largely from the Leavenworth-Lansing area, which includes Ft. Leavenworth, an active military installation and prisons serving both the federal and state governments. The area has a relatively stable core population consisting of local natives and retired military and government service people from both Ft. Leavenworth and the prisons and a transient component comprised of active military and government service people. The area has experienced relatively slow population growth but can be expected to continue to grow more rapidly as metropolitan Kansas City expands to the north.

 

Today’s parish has roughly 200 members and is an older congregation: parishioners aged 65 years or older make up 46 percent of the congregation; those who are 45 to 64 make up 23 percent and 31 percent are 44 years or younger. Each year several younger military families, assigned as students at the Command and General Staff College or to other activities on Ft. Leavenworth, join the church but they are part of a very transient population and are usually relocated within 1 to 3 years.

 

The congregation is evenly represented by women (51 percent) and men (49 percent). It is largely a married community (85 percent); the remaining 15 percent are divided between widowed (7 percent), divorced or separated (4 percent), and single (4 percent). Reflecting the age of the parish, 43 percent are retired. A wide range of professions are represented in the parish. The congregation is well educated with 56 percent having earned at least a baccalaureate and 33 percent with post graduate and professional degrees.

Church Bulletin 
St. Paul's Episcopal Church

Church Office
913-682-1033

Address
209 N 7th Street
Leavenworth, KS 66048

Write Us

2019 By St. Paul's Episcopal Church